A project by the IGBK and the International Theatre Institute (ITI) Germany, initiated and supported by the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media
Mobility is a central aspect of artistic work. Collecting new impressions, exchanging thoughts with colleagues abroad as well as continuously redefining one’s own position are part of the process. Thereby exhibitions and projects abroad, residencies or international guest performances are a matter of course today.
But with an increase in mobility, artists do not only face a jungle of support schemes and grants, also the need for secure information regarding social law, taxation and insurance issues or administrative procedures is growing, both, within and beyond EU borders.
Whether foreigner tax, procedure for returned goods, health insurance coverage or travel support: the information portal www.touring-artists.info raises awareness and offers visual and performing artists who are working internationally profound knowledge of the topics taxation, social security, visas, customs, insurances and copyright.
A database of support schemes for international projects as well as checklists and sample documents etc complement the information.
touring artists Helpdesk service
In April 2013 www.touring-artists.info was presented to the public. The launch of the website was accompanied by a symposium at the Radialsystem V (Berlin). In lectures and panels experts focused on issues like the granting of visas, subsidy programmes and information services.
Since October 2014 there is a touring artists helpdesk service, offering individual counsel to artists on international projects or working stays abroad. The touring artists helpdesk service is a cooperation of IGBK and ITI with SMartDe – Netzwerk für Kreative e.V..
Updates in 2018 - artists from Turkey - International Artists Info Berlin (IAIB)
Since spring 2018, the portal has also provided information specifically for artists and cultural workers from Turkey who are temporarily or permanently working in Germany or are planning to do so. Information about residence and work permit, taxes, social security, transport and customs are published here in Turkish and English.
Starting September 2018, touring artists is also offering an extended helpdesk service, welcoming artists and culture professionals who were forced to leave their home countries and are now residing in Germany.
The information portal has been enhanced accordingly with corresponding information in German, English and Arabic.
The enhanced service for artists and culture professionals from countries affected by crisis is part of the project "International Artists Info Berlin" – a cooperation of ITI Germany and IGBK with SMartDe – Netzwerk für Kreative e.V. and Universität der Künste Berlin – Berlin Career College, supported by the Senate Department for Culture and Europe Berlin, programme "Weltoffenes Berlin".
News in 2019 - touring artists provides specific information for musicians and culture professionals in the music sector
The information on touring artists has so far focused on the performing and visual arts. In cooperation with the European Music Council, a start is made in 2019 to expand the information systematically also for the music sector - by now in German, hopefully in English soon as well.
Under Music in Germany you will find an overview of the music landscape in Germany. Specific aspects concerning the musical sector are added under artist status and contracts (in German, hopefully soon in English as well) and also the feature on further information portals has been enhanced.
The touring artists helpdesk service is available to artists and creative professionals of all disciplines and is also used by musicians and culture professionals in the music sector.
Information in the field of music in cooperation with the European Music Council, funded within the framework of the Program Creative Europe of the European Union as well as by the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM) and the City of Bonn.
Workshops and events
Together with its cooperation partners IGBK organises a series of events to present the information tool to the public and to discuss single topics in detail. A selection of dates:
- Workshop "Working abroad" at Kunststiftung Baden-Württemberg in May 2019
- Workshop "Working abroad" at the Brandenburgisches Landesmuseum für Moderne Kunst in Frankfurt (Oder), April 2019
- Workshop “Steuer im internationalen Kontext“ with Sonja Laaser (Rechtsanwältin, Kanzlei Laaser) in Berlin, February 2019
- presentation touring artists and Workshop, Galerie Goldrausch, Berlin, December 2018
- presentation touring artists at the Artists Training for Professionals of the UdK, Module Perfroming Arts Berlin, November 2018
- Workshops at the HfBK Dresden, November 2018
- Moderation round table „Artists Mobility“, together with Birgit Ellinghaus, as part of the Arts Rights Justice Forum in the Auswärtige Amt, Berlin, September 2018
- Short consultation at the meeting of Doppelpass, Kulturstiftung des Bundes, Leipzig, June 2018
- at the Cross-Border Culture Conference 2018 in Dresden and Řehlovice in April 2018
- at the Neuköllner Kreativkongress in April 2018
- at the Music Match Dresden in April 2018
- taNDemcamp in Rheine in April 2018
- Artist Training: Refugee Class Fine Arts at Universtität der Künste Berlin, November 2017
- in the Galerie der Künstler bbk Munich, November 2017
- Kulturamt Stadt Mannheim und Port25 - Raum für Gegenwartskunst, May 2017
- Bundesakademie für Kulturelle Bildung Wolfenbüttel, April 2017
- Künstlerhaus Bremen, January 2017
- Kunstquartier Bethanien Berlin in cooperation with the International Theatre Institute (ITI) Germany and the institution Syrisches Haus, September 2016
- Presentation »Stock-taking meeting Mobility of artists and cultural professionals« European Commission in Brussels, May 2016
- Kunstraum Potsdam, April 2016
- Designhaus Halle Burg Giebichenstein Kunsthochschule Halle, February 2016
- part of the congress "vielfalt gestalten. frei und fair arbeiten" Bundesverband Freier Theater e.V. in Hamburg, October 2015
- Künstlerhaus Dortmund, September 2015
- Verein Berliner Künstler as part of the public discourse des Arts Club Berlin, July 2015
- Designhaus Halle/Transferzentrum Burg Giebichenstein Kunsthochschule Halle, June 2015
- presentation part of "Manual de Supervivencia Para Artistas" Instituto Cervantes in Berlin, June 2015
- "Internationalen Kulturbörse Freiburg", January 2015
- BBK Bezirksverband Düsseldorf e.V., November 2014
- UdK Berlin Career & Transfer Service Center, November 2014
- Regensburger KunstvereinGRAZ, October 2014
- Kunstbüro Kunststiftung Baden-Württemberg in Stuttgart, July 2014, with IHK Region Stuttgart
- BBK Landesverband NRW in Cologne, June 2014
- European Commission, workshop "Analysis of administrative practices on artists' mobility & social security / taxation" in Brussels, June 2014
- Deutscher Künstlerbund in Berlin, June 2014
- Elisabeth-Schneider-Stiftung, Freiburg im Breisgau, November 2013, with JProf Dr. Anna Lipphardt, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
- Bund Bildender Künstler Leipzig, November 2013
- within the symposium "Status quo Artis" des Bundesverband Bildender Künstlerinnen und Künstler in Munich, October 2013
- FRISE Künstlerhaus Hamburg, August 2013
- Arts Club Berlin at the Verein Berliner Künstler, July 2013
- Hochschule für Bildende Künste Braunschweig / Career Services, May 2013
- Symposium and Website-Launch, April 2013
Find more information on www.touring-artists.info