Submission deadline: 30-10-2020
More information here.
First organised in 2011, the Lih Pao International Sculpture Biennial Awards returns in 2021 and invites sculptors from around the world to submit work on the theme of Infinity.
Theme of Submission: Infinity
Purpose of the Competition
"The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless." – Jean-Jacques Rousseau
The great significance of art is to reflect human emotions in the real world. This Biennial Awards is expected to open up the artist's infinite imagination of the future through the vocabulary of sculpture.
- Age eligibility: Participants must be under age 50. Any domestic and international applicants born after January 1, 1970 (inclusive) are eligible to partake in the event.
- Material applicability: The work must be created out of materials suitable for an everlasting exhibition.
- Entry qualification: Entries must be created independently by individuals. Every participant is limited to submitting two entries at most.
- First evaluation: Digital files will be reviewed. Up to 30 entries (or less, if the judges decide the entries do not meet the standards) will be selected for second evaluation.
- Second evaluation:
- First Phase: The semi-finalists shall provide models that are nearly or same with their practical works in material and shape (The size must not exceed 50 cm X 50 cm X 50 cm). The judges will select 10 entries from the models in the first phase, of which five will be awarded Prize for Excellence and the other five will enter the second stage for further review. (The models must be retrieved by semi-finalists themselves; otherwise, the organizer will destroy those overdue on their behalf.)
- Second Phase: A practical work for further review shall not be less than 180 centimeters in the sum of its length, width, and height (excluding the pedestal), and its weight shall not exceed 1000 kilograms.
Awards and Prizes
- First Prize (x 1): 30,000 USD, a prize cup and a certificate of merit.
- Tsai Yun Prize (x 1): 10,000 USD, a prize cup and a certificate of merit.
- Enterprise Award (x 1): 10,000 USD, a prize cup and a certificate of merit.
- Prize for Excellence (x 2): 5,000 USD, a prize cup and a certificate of merit.
- Honorable Mention (x 5): 2,000 USD and a certificate of merit.
- Winners of the First Prize, Tsai Yun Prize, Enterprise Award and Prize for Excellence will be invited to attend the awarding ceremony and subsidized for a three-day-and-two-night complimentary accommodation (voucher) and air ticket: 500 USD for the tour in Asia and 1000 USD for travel to the rest of the world.
Note: According to the Income Tax Act of the Republic of China, a Taiwanese winner shall pay for his or her contest awards a 10% withholding tax and a 1.91% supplementary health insurance premium; non-ROC nationals shall pay a 20% withholding tax. Remittance fees shall be deducted from the prize money. The organizers may increase or decrease the award items, depending on the actual situation.
Schedule of Submission
- Time for Registration: From April 23, 2020 until October 30, 2020. (UTC/GMT:+8:00)
- Announcement of first evaluation results: January 1, 2021.
- Deadline for model delivery: April 1, 2021
- Second evaluation-First phase- Announcement of Honorable Mention and Prize for Excellence: May 1, 2021
- Second evaluation-Second phase-The delivery of the orifinal piece: Before September 30, 2021
- Awarding Ceremony: Tentatively set on October 31, 2021.
- Exhibition Period: From November 5, 2021 to December 5, 2021.