Joint statement by Culture Action Europe, European Cultural Foundation and Europa Nostra
The proposed Cultural Deal for Europe aims to mainstream culture across all policy fields to fully realise its potential: from the green transition to Europe’s geopolitical ambition, and from the digital shift to a value-driven Union.
The Cultural Deal for Europe has the ambition to bundle together both short and long term objectives, eyeing the post-pandemic recovery and pushing culture as a driver for the upcoming Conference on the Future of Europe.
"We call on the EU and national policymakers to commit to an ambitious Cultural Deal for Europe, an umbrella strategy for reviving and reimagining Europe through culture"
A Cultural Deal for Europe must entain the following:
- Devoting at least 2% of the EU Recovery and Resilience Facility for culture.
- All national recovery and resilience plans must show due evidence of cultural and European relevance.
- Full inclusion of culture in the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and the European Green Deal.
- Make sure funding for culture is mainstreamed into other relevant EU programmes and actions.
- Relevant and timely support to cultural workers.
- Philanthropy to be associated strategically in the recovery of Europe and design of its future.
- Upholding democracy and rights for a values-based Europe.
- Culture is key for the EU’s external relations.
- Culture for the future of Europe in the upcoming Conference on the Future of Europe.
At this stage, the Cultural Deal is still a framework-in-the-making, do not hesitate to contact Culture Action Europe with comments and inputs.
In the meantime, keep following the #CulturalDealEU hashtag on Twitter to interact. More advocacy campaigns and actions will follow!